48) DOORSTEP BANKING FOR ELDERLY
The RBI has asked banks to provide doorstep banking facilities to senior citizens of more than 70 years of age and differently-abled persons. Banks have been advised to implement these instructions by 31st December, 2017, in letter and spirit and give due publicity to this in their branches and websites.
49) INDIA TOPS IN SULPHUR DIOXIDE EMISSIONS
The study led by researchers at University of Maryland in the US suggests that India is fast becoming the world’s top sulphur dioxide emitter. The study claims that India’s emissions of the air pollutant sulphur dioxide increased by 50 per cent since 2007, while China’s fell by 75 per cent.
50) Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited Philippines on a three day visit to attend the Asean and East Asia Summits at Manila.
51) PAYPAL LAUNCHES LOCAL TRANSACTIONS
World’s largest digital payment company PayPal (USA) launched its domestic operations in India. The company will take on established players like Paytm and Amazon Pay in the Indian market. It will offer a single account for customers domestic and cross-border transactions.
52) OLIVE RIDLEYS STORM ODISHA BEACHES
Huge number of Olive Ridley turtles have started coming to Gahirmatha beach in Odisha’s Kendrapara district, known as world’s largest rookery of this endangered species. They arrive just offshore for mating in large numbers.
In 2016-17, around 9.75 lakh Olive Ridley turtles came out from the sea to lay eggs along the Odisha coast.
53) MANU SHARMA: Noted Hindi author and Padma Shri awardee died following a prolonged illness. He was 89. His real name was Hanuman Prasad Sharma.
54) The government has notified the third protocol between India and New Zealand for avoidance of double taxation and prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income.
55) HONG KONG: The city was ranked as the world's most visited city by international travelers in spite of strained relations with neighboring China. The study was conducted by the market research firm Euromonitor International.